The National Weather Service has Polk County among the Northwest Georgia area under a “slight” or Level 2 risk for severe weather from this afternoon through tonight, according to latest updates from the Polk County Emergency Management Agency.

Overcast and dreary skies aren’t likely to leave anytime soon as forecasters in Peachtree City put Polk County in an area stretching all across North Georgia and into the northern Metro Atlanta area. This Level 2 of 5 pins the likelihood of showers greater than they would be in a Level 1 area.

The forecast already called for chances of rain through the rest of the day (40% as of the last look around 11:15 a.m.) with increasing chances for stormy weather into the nighttime hours as the NWS put the chances at 60% for rain and thunderstorms.

EMA officials are keeping an eye out on storm systems developing in the west through the rest of the day, but pin the greatest chance of severe weather between 4 p.m. and 10 p.m.

Officials encourage local residents to utilize the CodeRED system to get notified when local areas are being impacted by severe weather. Sign up is easy by texting ENROLLPOLK to 99411, or by visiting to sign up on a computer.

Check back for additional severe weather alert updates as they become available.

Leave a comment

Please Login to Comment.